The DSST test taker audience has changed over the years, but as of 2006, DSST exams are available to anyone who is seeking college credit outside the traditional classroom, including college students, adult learners, high school students and military personnel.
Many confuse DSST with DANTES (Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support), which is a division of the Department of Defense that provides educational support to military members. In 2004, the exams were acquired and are now owned and administered by Prometric.
There are several upper- and lower-level courses available in a variety of subjects – everything from social sciences to history to business. DSST exams are $100 each, a substantial savings when compared to the cost of a three-credit college course that can cost upwards of $750, depending on the school. DSST exams not only can save you money, but also can accelerate degree completion so you can begin your career!
- Cost $30.00 - Test Administration Fee
$100 - Exam Fee payable on test day by Mastercard, Visa, American Express
- All testing fees are non-refundable, non-transferable and the test may not be rescheduled.
- You must arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your testing time. Please be prompt. No late arrivals will be admitted.
- You can only register for one test at a time. If you need more than one DSST exam, you must register for different day/time slots. Multiple tests can not be accommodated at the same time.
- You must wait 30 calendar days to retake a DSST. Day one is the day AFTER you initially tested.
- A Score Report will not be issued by the Testing Center upon completion of the exam.
Instructions for requesting testing accommodations:
- Complete the DSST ADA Accommodations Request Packet.
- Send packet to DSST
- DSST reviews the packet and determines/grants the appropriate accommodation.
- If approved, DSST will forward the approved accommodation letter with a reference number back to the candidate.
- Candidate will forward their approved accommodation letter with the reference number to testing center (firstname.lastname@example.org )
(The reference number must be included to receive accommodations)
- The candidate will contact the testing center to schedule their exam.
*Certain accommodations may require specific materials from DSST and may be delivered in a pencil and paper format.
What to Bring
- A non-expired Government issued photo ID is required and must be presented prior to testing. Your photo ID must be a valid photo ID, contain a signature and match exactly the name you used when registering. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE TO KNOW THE 4 DIGIT TEST SCORE RECIPIENT (INSTITUTION) CODE PRIOR TO TEST DAY. For more information go to: www.GetCollegeCredit.com to look up your score recipient code.
- Bring your email receipt sent to you by Registerblast.
- The exam fee is due on the day of your scheduled exam. The fee is payable by CREDIT CARD ONLY (Mastercard, Visa, American Express). DEBIT CARDS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
- Current driver's license
- State Approved ID
- Military ID
- Tribal ID
- Current Passport